(a) When water service is discontinued and all bills are paid, including penalties, the deposit will be refunded.
(b) Upon discontinuance of service for nonpayment of bills, the deposit will be applied toward settlement of the account. Any balance will be refunded to the consumer, but if the deposit is not sufficient to cover the amount due and payable, the town may proceed to collect the balance in any way provided by law for the collection of debts.
(c) Service discontinued for nonpayment of bills will be restored only after bills are paid in full, redeposit made and the current service charge paid for each meter reconnected.
(d) The town reserves the right to discontinue water service without notice for any one or more of the following additional reasons:
- To prevent fraud or abuse.
- Consumer’s willful disregard of the town’s rules and regulations.
- Emergency repairs.
- Insufficiency of supply due to circumstances beyond the town’s control.
- Legal process.
- Direction of public authorities.
- Strike, riot, fire, flood, accident or any unavoidable cause.
(e) The town may, in addition to prosecution by law, permanently refuse service to any consumer who tampers with a meter or other measuring device.
(Code 1981, § 5-1024)